Phoenix had a block of his hoof done when the vet was out and that made him sound, so we x-rayed the hoof. It was strange because normally abscesses are black in the x-ray (full of infection and puss), but his is actually white so probably gravel. He still hasn’t popped the abscess yet (ugh), but is somehow slightly less lame. Foot is definitely still warm and he’s still off. He’s been so stir crazy and jealous of his brother that we’ve been doing bareback rides of 20 minutes walking and a small bit of trot to see how lame he is in the middle. He has been completely obnoxious and getting into everything otherwise, so I know he’s not feeling too bad.
Stampede had a muscle enzyme exercise test when the vet was out, which came up normal. The vet watched him go and saw that he didn’t step up as well with his right rear leg when I would sit the trot and collect him on a circle. Pretty precise really, but good to know. She checked him over after my ride and found him to be muscle sore only on the right side of his back. I had wanted the other vet to check his back before, but after watching him go he has dismissed it as a possible problem.
I guess the idea of back soreness being the problem this whole time just doesn’t sound right to me. A few months after I bought Stampede back in 2006 my saddle stopped fitting him and he wouldn’t even let me put it on. He has been cranky about saddling since, but never again has he acted like he did back then. Here are some things I’ve thought of though:
1) Could he be sore from all the saddle switching when I sent the Butet off to be repaneled?
2) Is the gullet of my saddle just not wide enough for his spine even though the tree fits well otherwise?
3) Is my saddle too long (past the last rib)? I can’t find much on this.
3) Is the back soreness due to issues elsewhere (Hocks, SI?)? Vet didn’t seem to think so.
Either way, Stampede is currently doing a Robaxin trial to see if that helps him. The vet said 10 days to two weeks to see any results, so I’m not there yet. Stampede is pretty much cooperating for his twice daily syringing of Robaxin applesauce at least. It must not taste too bad, he was much more angry about the bute when we did that trial. I didn’t ride him much this week, and when I did we were mostly doing walk and trot only. We cantered a little today, but now I plan to just do more walk/trot for most of the week again. Now some pics of Stampy before our ride today, modeling the new saddle pad.
So the puzzle of Stampede continues. I’m trying to schedule a saddle fitter to come out and check my saddle in person, but there aren’t many options around here.