When the vet came last Friday she took x-rays so we could see what had changed in Stampede’s hoof since we last x-rayed him two weeks ago. We made the tentative plans to try to get him in shoes on Monday, pending x-rays. Well we all know Stampede loves a plot twist, and the vet found that he had a large gas pocket in the foot that was most likely the cause of his continued soreness after moving around. So we made plans for her to come out and do some excavating to relieve the pressure yesterday.
Otherwise his coffin bone looked good in the x-rays, although maybe just ever so slightly moved. Nothing to worry about as is though. His medial lateral balance was off as I had suspected from looking at his feet with my own eyes. The outside of his hoof is about a quarter of an inch higher than the inside on this bad foot. It has left me with some continued concerns about my barn’s farrier in addition to the ones I have voiced previously. Of course no one will tell me what they think because they don’t want to start drama, so I’m feeling a bit alone in my angst.
So Stampede’s foot is all wrapped up and I will be removing the current wrap, applying fresh gauze soaked in iodine to the hole, and rewrapping it as needed until everything hardens up enough to be covered by a shoe. Vet was guessing a couple of weeks. We may do another set of x-rays before we shoe just to be safe. I would actually be interested in x-raying the other front as well to have a baseline for cleaning up his angles there too.
Hoping we are at least headed in a good healing direction!