When we left off, I was waiting for culture results on some punch biopsies done on Stampede’s right hind leg. While the results weren’t super helpful, they did change our treatment direction. The only bacteria that showed up was staph, which the vets said is almost a guaranteed result on a horse’s leg. The interesting part was that the culture was resistant to Baytril, the drug we had been giving him for several weeks. The next interesting part is that the antibiotics he was on before we moved to Baytril, SMZ’s and Excede, were the recommended treatment. We moved on from those because Stampede’s legs blew up badly while already on them. Of course you can’t forget that at the same time he was on steroids which we were slowly reducing over time as treatment we had started for his vasculitis. So there was a chance the steroids were causing things to get worse instead of better, and the steroids were stopped the day he got his IV catheter and started Baytril. So basically the whole thing was and is confusing!
View this post on Instagram
Most of the photos on my phone currently are of Stampede’s temperature from each of our regular checks which I’m then tracking in a spreadsheet. He had a rough day yesterday as he finished up a 24 hour break from antibiotics, but we started different antibiotics last night. He saw me working in the barn this afternoon and stopped over for some cookies. So glad he still wants to be near me despite all the pokes, prods, and oral meds he’s been getting. Fingers crossed we are heading in the right direction now. #stampede #specialneedshorse #morstoneacres
So Stampede got his last Baytril shot on the 24th, then the vets wanted him to have 24 hours off anitbiotics before the switch. Since Baytil lasts 24 hours in the system Stampede got his first dose of Excede on the 26th and his first dose of SMZ’s that same evening. To add to the weirdness he did get worse while on his 24 hour break from antibiotics (higher fever and very lethargic) and all we can think is that while there was resistance to Baytril it was still helping him somewhat. Thankfully things have (knock on wood) equalized since he got back on the “new” antibiotics but so far there hasn’t been any kind of miraculous recovery. The vet did also take samples to run some new tests last Friday, but I probably won’t have those results for a couple days yet. Honestly I don’t expect them to tell us anything but I would happily be wrong.
Another twist in the plot is that the farrier convinced me to pull Stampede’s shoes before I left for Alaska. Stampede’s feet had gotten quite ugly and the hard ground combined with stomping at bugs meant the nails were coming loose and sticking out plus leaving the shoes in jeopardy of coming off. I was very concerned Stampede would get sore but the farrier thought he would be fine. While he seemed okay for a bit (it’s been over a month since they were pulled) he’s now very sore. Vet didn’t think shoes were going to stay on well (like farrier thought) so I ordered Stampede some boots. I guess we will see how my measuring skills are. Currently he’s rocking the special pads cut from a kneeling pad purchased at the hardware store. He was immediately a lot happier.
Oh my boy, if you could just get it together that would be great!
View this post on Instagram
Rocking some fancy duct taped pads this morning and ready to get moving. Someone was feeling foot sore on the hard ground (vet verified, no other issue) to add to his troubles. Started a different antibiotic treatment Friday and still fighting regular fevers so far. #stampede #specialneedshorse #morstoneacres